Shanghai University in the 1920s
Shanghai University was founded on Qingyun Road, Jing’an District, Shanghai in 1922 and was the outcome of the cooperation between the Kuomintang (Nationalist Party) and the Communist Party. Yu Youren, a notable member of Kuomintang, was the first president of the university. At the time under the revolutionary government led by Sun Yat-sen, Shanghai University was the top school in liberal arts, while Whampoa Military Academywas the elite academy for military training. However, Shanghai University became dominated by left wing factions sympathetic to the Communist Party of China. As a result, Shanghai University was closed in 1927 during the anti-Communist purges of Chiang Kai-shek (at the start of the Chinese Civil War). The old campus was destroyed during World War II.
In 1983, the People’s Republic of China government re-established Shanghai University by combining a number of existing tertiary and vocational institutions in Shanghai, including branches of Fudan University, East China Normal University, Shanghai University of Science & Technology, Shanghai Foreign Language Institute, Shanghai Mechanics College, Shanghai Fine Arts College, and the Shanghai College of Law. The university inherited the traditional focus of liberal arts, fine arts, business and law. Like many modern metropolitan universities, at the time of its re-foundation the university lacked a traditional central campus, but used a number of teaching sites spread throughout Shanghai contributed by the various tertiary and vocational institutions which had been merged to form the new university.
In 1994, a new Shanghai University was created by consolidating Shanghai University of Technology (上海工业大学), Shanghai University of Science & Technology (上海科技大学), the existing Shanghai University （上海大学） and Shanghai Science & Technology College (上海科技高等专科学校).